Friday, August 10, 2012

First Batch of Butterflies! 2012

I haven't forgotten about my butterfly rearing!

Well, that last brood that I kept in the winter did not survive, though I believe it's because the air doesn't circulate very well in my fridge.  It made me sad, I should have kept them outside, but this winter was so warm, I didn't want them to get confused and come out early.  I felt very guilty to say the least .

So I thought I was being punished for being a bad butterfly keeper .  I planted parsley and flowers in my garden, but they haven't done well, mostly because of the heat and poor soil.  So no black swallowtail butterflies came to lay eggs .  I had totally given up on raising any pretty bugs this year.  But yesterday as I was perusing what was left of my poor little veggie garden, guess what I found?!


CATERPILLARS!!! 

I found three on my pathetic looking parsley, but eight on my carrots, two of which were in their final instar!  WOOT!!!! So I dug out my twenty gallon tank and cleaned it up, then harvested my caterpillars!


If you'll notice, I have forgone the duct tape this year, don't want a repeat of that fiasco.  I put the big ones (fifth instars) on one side and the smaller ones (late second to early third instars) on the other.  One of the big ones was already settled to pupate and has already spun his support thread!  So I got it just in time!

 The other big one is still chowing down though ...


I have nine little ones on the other side, looks like they are molting to third instar.  They have probably another week or so of growing and eating like tiny pigs before they will be ready to pupate ...


Meanwhile, they have been spotted by my bearded dragon, Grimlock....

Me Grimlock want worms for snacking!

He is beside himself wanting to have a black swallowtail lunch !  Too bad for him though, he can stick with crickets...

I will keep you updated on this brood's progress, as well as a tally of girls and boys!  (I haven't a clue how to tell a caterpillar's gender...I have to wait to see when they emerge as butterflies ).  This will probably be the last one of the summer; I think the next will be the overwintering generation.  Better late than never I suppose!

No comments:

Post a Comment