Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WIP - 1/7 Holo

My first work-in-progress post!

The figure I'm working on right now is called Holo, from the anime Spice and Wolf.  I haven't seen it, but I thought the figure was cute so I decided to build her.

After a thorough bath and some sanding, I pinned her to check for any gaps that might need some putty.


There are small gaps at her arm joints so I took care of that.  I primed her, masked her eyes and anything else I didn't want to paint right now, then started painting.  First I laid down the base colors for her outfit, hair and skin.




Time for some shading!  I shaded her with a combination of airbrushing and pastels. After I shade a figure, I usually do a light, thin coat of the base color to blend the shading and make it look a little more natural.


 


 Now for the eyes.  I love and hate painting eyes.  Love because they really bring life to a figure, hate because I feel like I can never do them right !  I could use decals, but that feels like cheating.  Anyways, I shaded her head...



Then took the liquid mask off of her eyes.  I painted the whites, and the eyelashes.


Next I lightly drew where I wanted the irises to be (looking straight ahead, some of the hardest eyes to do!), and painted them dark red.  I lined them in black, painted the pupil, then lined the bottom of them with a brighter red.  White highlights are the last step!


I sealed them with Future Floor Wax (an acrylic sealer) to give them a glossy, life-like look.  And she is almost finished!  All that's left is assembly!


Some final pictures of Holo to come later!  The next figure on my table, a HUGE 1/4 angel,  I have been VERY frustrated with...


More on her later, after I am done punting her around my backyard...

No comments:

Post a Comment